The Oregon Building Congress
It is our Mission toPartner with educatiors, industry and government agencies to increase the quality, quantity and diversity of construction applicants.
OBC President's Message
As Oregon Building Congress enters this new decade, it gives us a chance to reflect on where we have come from, where we are going, and, most importantly, what difference will we make.OBC was founded nearly ninety years ago to develop apprenticeship training programs and standards that were nonexistent in Oregon. These programs are now subject to the control and direction of the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries and the various Joint Apprenticeship Training Committees.
With that issue resolved, OBC changed its mission to influencing educational systems to help provide our industry with a better prepared more diverse pool of future workforce applicants. It is our job to lead the next generation of craft and tradespersons who will be building the future for us and for generations to come. Recently our efforts have focused on:
• Student Programs,
• Teacher Workshops,
• Building Futures Magazine,
• OBC's Sustainable Building Initiative, and
• the Academy for Architecture, Construction & Engineering (ACE).
|Click here to view our brochure|
OBC’s crowning achievement has to be the Academy for Architecture, Construction, and Engineering (ACE). ACE Academy students are juniors and seniors from five school districts who have a tremenous opportunity to earn English, Math and Science credits based on actual proficiencies used in and on construction projects.
With the phenomenal success of the ACE Academy, it is clear that our mission for the foreseeable future must be to replicate this model all over Oregon and promote it in other states. This is a monumental task that will take far more than our current resources to accomplish. As an industry, we need to make an investment in the one organization that is truly preparing a better prepared and more diversified future construction workforce. Please consider investing in Oregon Building Congress where you know your investment will not only make a difference, but pay huge dividends for decades to come.
What's Going On at OBC
Building Futures Spring/Summer 2013 issue now available!
Learn more about construction-related opportunities throughout the region with articles such as:
- The Evolution of 'All'
- Career Technical Education benefits students and industries
- Sherwood students tackle home-building project
- Viking House gives Forest Grove students opportunity to develop on-the-job skills
- Machine manufacturing program offers pathway to job opportunities
- Students encouraged to 'Soar with Dreams'
- Sabin-Schellenberg Center - Preparing tomorrow's leaders today through innovation and application
- Pumpkin Chunkin'
- NECA-IBEW Electrical Training Center promotes apprenticeship
- 21st Annual Career Trade Fair